Friday, September 6, 2013

Arrivals... There Goes The Neighborhood

           
          Columbus' arrival to North America is a huge controversy, for one it gave us the life we have today but on the other hand, it ruined the Native American's lives.

         I'm surprised that I feel anger towards Columbus and what he did to the Native Americans, taking everything from them and forcing them to believe in things that didn't make sense to them. On the contrary, I know that if it weren't for this happening I wouldn't be here because my race is the mixture of the Native Americans with the Spanish men. I don't really know what to think about the fact that I'm here because my ancestor was probably raped by a Spanish man, it sounds kind of harsh but its true.

      It angers me that these people were just going through their day normally when all of a sudden these men on horses came and started killing and taking everything from them. How would it be if one day aliens come and take our natural resources, started raping the women and create a new creature! That is exactly the craziness those people were going through and we don't even think about that we celebrate Columbus and honor him for doing these horrid things.

      In very little time, the Native American's lives were altered and their "neighborhood" had been destroyed with no trace of their old lives. The arrival of Columbus awakened new beginnings but destroyed old dreams.

4 comments:

  1. I loved the blog, your opinions, and your examples were great (the aliens lol)! I totally agreed with everything you said, when writing my blog I felt that same conflict (on whether to feel anrgy about what columbus did or to feel happy because as you said we wouldn't be here without it happening). What does everyone esle think? I wonder, what do you think it would be like today if the Natives kept their land? Would we be as advanced as we are today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Trenati :) And well I think that if the Natives had kept their land we wouldnt be here today because well most of us are here from other places and well for me at least I wouldnt exist since if the Spaniards wouldnt have stayed in Central and South America they woudnt have kids with the Indians and my parents wouldnt have been born. But well Europe was pretty advanced so I believe that they wouldve continued advancing and later on the Indians would have indeed joined them and become civilized themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your blog, it brought up points I hadn't given much thought to. You're right, we are here because the Spanish did rape Native American women, and as hash as that seems, it's the sad truth. I hadn't thought of this before, but it makes sense that with every misfortune, something new or positive must come out it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree on your point that if Columbus hadn't come then most of us would not be living the lives we are today. It is really hard to consider his "discovery" a good or bad thing, and I understand the frustration. Do you think that if he hadn't come that we may possibly still be living the dame lives? Or do you think it was possible that we could still be living the same lives if Columbus had treated the Native Americans respectfully?

    ReplyDelete